Monday, January 26, 2009

Not Quite Samoas



My entire family loves the Samoa Girl Scout cookie. Of course with a family of 6, an expensive box of 14 cookies doesn't last long at all. A number of years ago, I experimented in recreating the cookie. They tasted similiar to the original, but were very messy. Today, I tried again doing it a different way. My family did not think these tasted quite as much like Samoas, but they were good. Here is the recipe that I made:

1 package shortbread striped cookies
14 oz package of caramels
3 cups coconut
1/2 package chocolate chips

First, I put the coconut on a cookie sheet and toasted it in a 325 degree oven for about 10 or so minutes, stirring once or twice to prevent burning. While the coconut toasts, unwrap the caramels and melt. I put a tiny bit of milk into the caramels to thin them a little. When melted, mix in toasted coconut. Put generous spoonful of caramel/coconut mixture onto cookie and press down. Melt 1/3-1/2 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in baggie until melted. Cut a very small slit in bottom corner of the bag to pipe the chocolate onto the cookie. That's it. It was easy, much cheaper, and fast. It was a little messy, but after the caramel and chocolate cooled, they weren't messy at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment